chicken broke her toenail and tip of toe off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karen+3chickens, Apr 7, 2009.

1. karen+3chickens

karen+3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    So it started out as a crop issue. I isolated her in a dog crate so I could make sure she was passing food, control the amount of food, massage and all that good stuff. The crate was kind of small, so my husband built a "chicken hospital" in the run outside. So she could at least stand up straight and see the other chickens. She was fine out there all day. I checked on her at 6 and gave her some food. I just went out now (9:30) and there was blood everywhere! I think she tried so hard to get out when it started getting dark that she was scratching at the chicken wire sides. She broke her toenail and maybe the tip of her toe off. I put some blood stop on it and brought her back inside. Is there anything else I should do? So now she has the crop issue and a broken toe. I feel terrible! I don't know how long I should let her heal before letting her back with the other chickens. Please help [​IMG]

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Oh, you have been so good to that chicken, and look what she goes and does.

As long as she's not bleeding, I think she will be okay with the toe. As soon as you are done with the crop treatment I think it will be fine to put her back with the other chickens; as long as they don't see blood, they should leave her alone. Heck, her nail could even grow back.
    Good luck.

3. karen+3chickens

karen+3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Thanks for the reassurance. Her toe looks much better this morning, now that there is no blood oozing from it. She was walking around on it a little bit, but she is overall a little lethargic today. Her crop seems to be getting worse not better, so it looks like she will be in the "big coop" for a while still. And I though chickens were going to be a relaxing pet...sigh.

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I hear you! Relaxing, indeed.

First my favorite chick died, then Audrey got botulism, then Nugget got sour crop (three times, we had to put her down) all within a year.

Sheesh. Who knew what sickly creatures they are! I've had pet grasshoppers that lived longer and healthier lives.

I also had romantic visions of wandering through my flower and vegetable gardens with a small flock of beautiful birds behind me scouring up the insects.

HAH! They hate pill bugs and earwigs, instead they eat the vegetables and the flowers, and they dig up the seedlings and bulbs.

Good luck with the crop. I think that some chickens just have a small passage to the tummy and the problem keeps recurring. I hope your chicken is not one of them.

5. PatrioticSilkies

PatrioticSilkies New Egg

Jun 14, 2010
    Wilmer Alabama
    My Silky Chicken broke her toe nail off and her leg is shaking and she is favoring it. Should i isolate her? She is just off her brooding stage and I am not sure how it happened. Not bleeding, not yucky. Should I put antibiotic cream on it or wrap it? Please help me, Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by