Chicken broke off tip of beak and beak is cracked ?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Nov 29, 2013.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I just noticed that one of my buff Orps has somehow broken off the tip of her beak and it appears that in the process the beak became cracked in 2 places , bit not all the way up and the cracks are kinda on the side and don't seem to go all the way through.
    Looking at it, it reminded me of a badly/roughly broken fingernail.
    I checked everyone else and their beaks are perfectly fine.
    I can't for the life of me think of anything dangerous in the yard or coop.
    I am worried about this lady though. How long does it take to grow back and could there be any issues? Is she in pain ?
    This girl seems to be "that bird" that always gets into mischief because I found her awhile back with a bleeding comb and no clue how. No matter what though she keeps on going like nothing is wrong. She is the only one who has ever had any injuries at all!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    As long as she can eat and drink ok she should be fine. You can file gently the gagged edges if you like. When you touch her break does she act like it hurts? That's the only way to know if its sore or not.if she is not eating you may have to tube feed her until the soreness goes away if it is sore. You can do a search on tube feeding if necessary. But if she's eating ok she should be fine.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

She does seem to be eating and drinking fine. I actually only noticed it when she was eating and raised her head and her faced looked a little stumpy :p I was nervous about it looking cracked. I am not sure if it can get worse because of that?

5. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island

Dab of super glue on the outside of the crack? Seriously this is just an idea, not sure if its safe!

6. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Should be fine. I had a roo do this to his comb by flying into a post.

And super glue would be perfectly fine on the outside of the beak. But I caution you! DONT GLUE THE BEAK SHUT!!!! that is Very Easy to do by accident! Super glue dripps terribly.

Any how superglue is safe, non toxic and sterile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by