Chicken broody in trash can?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooby, Aug 3, 2013.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    OK so i have a sexlink that has gone broody amazingly the 2nd chicken this summer to go broody problem is i keep a metal trashcan in there coop for feed, and this is where she decided to have her nest, it is empty so she is "nesting" on a empty metal bottom, and it is hot here been in the 80's to 90's and i am afraid she will get over heated or not come out for food and water.So should i move her or should i just try to add some shavings to the bottom so she doesn't crack them or what? was also thinking maybe i could put the trash can on its side and add shaving, do you think she would stay nesting in there if i attempted to do this? this is her first time broody.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Unusual for a sex link to go broody, but not unheard of. Can you add a fan? Most broodies know to come off the nest at least once a day to eat, drink and poop.

You can add some hay if you like, but I'd be more inclined to move her to a more suitable location. Move her at night, it might break her, it might not.

3. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    Ya unusual for a sexlink, and my other broody this yr was another unusual RIR, this yr has been weird! anyways I don't want to break her of it my children enjoy having a chick or 2 around, and actually it has been a bad summer for us losing 3 big hens and 4 chicks this summer our highest loss in a yr in the last 7 yrs of chicken owning. Anyways i don't know if I can run a fan either, pretty sure i can't. do you think the next easiest thing would be to tip the trash can on side add shavings and put her back in. then she is still in her spot but more asses-able. And yes we do it all late at night!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is her trash can in the shade. If it gets any direct sunlight, I'd definitely move her and take the trash can away so she won't return to it. If it stays shady and the temp will stay below 100 she might be ok. Be sure she has lots of water very close by. I find it exciting that a sex link will actually go broody. Please post the results. Will be looking to see what happens with her. If she hatches any boys, please name one Oscar!!

5. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    No the trash can is INside the coop, big coop 10x12, so it is not directly in the sun. but the water dish is outside cause if i put it in the coop i find myself throwing out more water then they drink from them getting shavings and poop in it. I was just kinda worried about the inside temp cause it can get a little hotter then outside shade temps, and there is not much air breeze cause the one window we could open ended up getting a overhang built over it for our lambs and we have not had time to install a new window yet, i leave the door open during the summer permanently so they can come and go as they please to free range though to. so there is air circulation just not a breeze anymore. that is not really my concern though as much as the fact of her just laying in a upright metal trash can and possibly cracking or crushing the eggs on the metal bottom when she turns them or moves them.
    Lazy Gardener i am amazed she went broody to, I Hope she doesn't have any boys cause i really don't need anymore Roo's. but well see with my luck there will be one! And i sure will keep you updated and some pics to if she gets any to hatch.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you can turn the can on it's side, that might be a good thing as she can get in/out easier and not be as likely to land on her eggs. Can you hang a waterer from the ceiling? I have one hanging in the lower level of my coop, and they don't seem to spill any.

7. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    Ya i think that is my best bet i think i will do it tonight and hopefully she will stay broody, i don't have any hanging waters, i water in tubs. But i think if i put it on its side it will be big enough to put some food and water bowls either inside or right outside of it, just have to go dig up more water tubs!

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    LEAVE HEN ALONE!!!!

Moving or changing orientation of can is likely to break broody cycle unless embryos already making sounds. She already comes out for food and water at least once daily. Adding a little fiber of some sort is not a bad idea.

9. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I have not seen her come out in 4 days at all and i keep a pretty close watch on them, and they eat and drink outside the coop in my yard. i finally went in and put a few handfuls of food in the can today and she went ravouness on it. do you really think changing the orientation of the can will break her even if i leave her in the can, my other concern is my other birds jumping in there cause they can not see her in there till they jump up, i went in there to check on her today and the flock followed and my little red jumped up on the edge of the can and just about fell in, i was worried about the weight of them tipping it cause it is empty.

10. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    There's a feed store near us and the owner has his personal flock in the backyard of the store. He has a very cool set-up and it includes about 4 trash cans on their sides in a formation. His birds love nesting and laying in them...he said they like the round shape. Throw some hay in and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by