Chicken bulling and nu-stock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by his4ever, Aug 21, 2013.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Ok, so I have...

3 Black Stars
    2 White Leghorns
    2 Laced Winged Wyendotts (sp)
    2 Black Austrolopes (sp)
    2 Barred Rocks
    2 Rhode Island Reds

Someone in the flock is being a bully. One of the Black Stars and one of the Leghorns are getting their feathers pulled out. I put some nu-stock on their vent area where the feathers have been pulled out. The Leghorn had scars and bruising.

I know my flock is under stress and we are working at trying to fix their situation. Is there any way to tell who the bully/ies are so I can seperate them? Also, are any of the breeds more aggressive towards other breeds? Some friends and I ordered our chicks together and I let the kids (of the other family) pick out the breeds. I'm worried maybe we're possibly mixing some breeds that may be a little too aggressive?

Also, after Nu-Stock is applied, should I avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks? Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All those breeds should get along fine.

I'm thinking it's a space issue. How much room do they have? That's a fair number of birds.

3. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    The chicken run is meant for only 8 birds. We haven't had the time to expand the run yet, so I have been letting them free range in a fenced in area. The coop itself is about 5x8. My husband is preparing to make an automatic door so they can get out of the coop as soon as possible in the morning.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So I don't think it really matters which birds you pull out. They're all overcrowded and stressed. I'd just pull random birds out and rotate through them. And address coop and run space ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by