1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Bullying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by citychknraising, Jan 30, 2017.

1. citychknraising

citychknraising Just Hatched

Jan 30, 2017
    Hampton Roads, VA
    I have a small flock that consists of 2 EEs, 1 blue cochin, and 1 speckled sussex. More and more lately, I've been having problems with my speckled sussex, Lucy, bullying the blue cochin, Violet. Violet has always been a little of an outcast, but nothing I've been too concerned about. Lately though, every time Lucy and the Violet get near each other, Lucy jumps on top of her and comes up with a beak full of feathers. If I see it's about to happen, I push Lucy back but she keeps relentlessly trying to jump at Violet. There hasn't been any blood or bald spots (yet). Is there a way to stop this behavior before it gets any worse?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    First, are you sure Lucy is a girl?

3. citychknraising

Jan 30, 2017
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Yikes, I hadn't thought about that. She is supposed to be. She just started squatting (my girls are right around laying age) so I am pretty certain.
    This is her: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do you have a side picture?

5. citychknraising

Jan 30, 2017
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Not with me, I will post one when I get home this afternoon.

6. moutainMan

moutainMan Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Lucy appears to be a girl to me.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a female...and if she's squatting, she's near to laying and that can cause a fire storm of hormones, which can manifest in increased aggression and a change in pecking orders. Make sure they have plenty of coop and run space and hang on for an unruly ride, after they all start laying things should even out.

8. citychknraising

Jan 30, 2017
    Hampton Roads, VA
    That makes sense @aart , thanks. Hopefully this all levels out soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by