chicken/bunny coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baymule, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Baymule

Baymule Songster 8 Years

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Hi ya'll,
    I have been lurking on here for several months. I recently got a trio of rabbits to raise for meat and East Texas Chick is holding me 2 SLW hens until I get their new home ready. I want to add 2-3 silkies to the mix. I am not a builder, my plans are deeply imbedded in the tiny creases of my brains?? I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm doing it anyway. It is small- 8'1"x6'11"x8'2"x7'1". See-I told you I am not a builder. I have a pile of salvaged lumber, she who has the biggest pile of used lumber is the winner!!!!!! I had help the first Saturday setting the posts and getting the roof on, mostly laughing at ourselves for it being so whompejawed. The next Saturday I put a 2x4 runner up around it to put hardware cloth on. I built the door and painted it. As I dripped latex paint on the grass, I wondered if a hen eats latex-paint crusted grass and lays an egg, will it break or bounce? After work one evening, I stapled hardware cloth around the bottom. On Saturday, I nailed up 2 OSB plywood sheets on the back, put up more wire and some more 2x4's. Last Saturday I had the help of my 3 year old granddaughter-oh yes, we got a LOT done, NOT!! I am waiting on daylight Saturday morning to go play with nails and boards. Did you know cicadas get excited by a skill saw ripping 2x4's? Several dive bombed me and just wouldn't go away. I can only only imagine the poor cicadas disappointment when that loud vibrating turned out not to be the biggest female cicada ever! I am taking my time, ventilation is important here in east Texas, it was 102 in the shade last Saturday. I carefully place the plywood for the optimum sun blocking position so I don't get pre-cooked rabbits and chickens. I am having a blast constructing my wood and wire chicken/rabbit condo. I live practically downtown in my small town, but we still get possums, snakes, occasionally a raccoon and the lady next door feeds all the feral cats. Thanks to ya'll, I know that chicken wire ain't for chickens, my coop castle is well wrapped in hardware cloth. I can't wait for Saturday!![​IMG]:weee

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Pictures??? And are you just a bit ADD??? [​IMG] You do know, NO drinking during construction (until the power tools have been put away)???

3. Baymule

Baymule Songster 8 Years

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Whew!! I just came in for some cold iced tea/AC/recliner/BYC. Everything is so soggy from the rain from Hurricane Alex. My thoughts and prayers to those affected by this storm. But for us, we just got the rain. The humidity must be about 1,000%, I am soaking wet from sweat, but the building MUST GO ON!! So far this morning, I have got up 2 more pieces of hardwire cloth, scrounged the reject pile for odd 2x4's, cut and nailed them up. I just nailed in place a piece of plywood after carefully measuring, marking and sawing it to size. I am even using a square, even though anybody can see it't not square at all---it's "L" shaped. HELLOOOO?? The plywood was too big and heavy to hold and nail all at the same time, so I stacked up cinder blocks and propped it on them and beat the crap outa the nails with my 22 ounce waffle head framing hammer. She who bams with the biggest hammer will WIN EVERY TIME:yiipchick

4. mickistoy

mickistoy Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    [​IMG] very cool! glad you are having fun [​IMG]

5. Baymule

Baymule Songster 8 Years

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] AARRGHH!! The Hurricane Alex rains are baaackkk. I barely had time to put up the tools and dogs before the bottom fell out and the great deluge began. I stood in my chicken/bunny condo and the roof isn't leaking (did sumpin' right) and the corners where I have nailed up the plywood are dry. I was working on the nestbox, still have to close in one side and hang the door. Then it will be move in day. I can paint later, it is too wet now and my bunnies really would like to give up their temporary home and move uptown. Besides, I am dying to go get my 2 SLW hens. Going to Tractor Supply for chicken feed, feeder, waterer and rabbit feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by