Chicken burrowing head into other chickens backside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brooksy86, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    I have two silkies, I'm honestly unsure of their ages, but I noticed the slightly smaller of the two keeps on burrowing/nuzzling her head into the others rear/back section. They both seem happy enough with this ritual, but what's this all about? And sorry if this is a stupid question, I am still a total beginner at all this.

Thanks!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    My pullets used to do that when they wanted to hide from me

3. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    Could exlain it, maybe the silkie is a lot younger than I thought and both are utterly petrified of me.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think it goes back to being brooded by a hen. It's an instinctive behavior, doesn't matter if the chick ever saw a momma hen or not. Their instinct is to get under another bird. Most lose this as they age, but some don't.

My main coop is a converted greenhouse. It has a shelf that runs around the interior, and that's where many of my birds roost at night. They tend to huddle underneath each other, even at a year or so old. Each night they're jockeying for who gets their head under who......it's a comfort thing apparently.

5. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Even my old girls do that, Its the same motion that a chick does to get itself under mamas feathers. I've even had a chicken do that while being petted - they'll try to get their head under my unclosed jacket and under my arm where its dark and they feel safe under mama. Not to mention it keeps their head from being pecked by others close that would rather they go roost somewhere else...

6. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish

My pullets do that to my jacket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by