Chicken Butchering tools

JoJo 95

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Can any of you post pics of the various tools you use so that I can decide what to buy for when I get ready to butcher soon

A good fillet knife for one.

I love my Rada Granny paring knife. And my Rada sharpener. Just do a google search for them. It will come up. Rada's keep their edge really well.

1) A sharp knife
2) Some thing similar to traffic cone V shape with the tip cut off about 3-4 inches opening.
3) 5 gal bucket or a big pot
4) The temperature 145-150F to dip the chicken in

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't buy anything special for mine, I used things I already had. Granted, if I do it again I'm getting a cone, but that would be the only new thing.

I used my regular kitchen knives, freshly sharpened (my Dremel rotary tool was used for the sharpening). I used my kitchen shears for removing parts like the neck. I used my kitchen sink for scalding, boiling the water for it in regular pots and pouring it into the sink. Rubber gloves from the first-aid kit during the plucking.

Never used a cone. I chop off the heads. Most will say use a hatchet to do that, I have found that a machette is MUCH better. I use a propane turkey frier for the scalding. I use branch loppers for cutting off the feet. And we use a fillet knife freshly sharped for cutting open the chicken for the gutting.

Here is a few pictures to get the idea of what I'm saying. These are a bit graphic so please don't view them if you have a weak stomach!

This the contraption that I made originally for the meat turkeys we processed this year but it also came in handy for the meat chickens
DSC05988.jpg

In this one a fellow BYCer helps hold the chicken while I tie the legs. So helpful to have an extra pair of hands!
DSC06020.jpg

Here I am using a machette for chopping the head off. In the past I tried to use a hatchet and it just didn't work as well for me.
DSC06010.jpg

This is the turkey fryer being used to scald the bird for plucking. Important thing to remember here is the temp is 150 degrees Farenheit and remember to put dish soap in the water which make the plucking SOOOO much easier!
DSC06012.jpg

This is the plucking table. On it is the branch lopers that I used to cut off the feet at the joint.
DSC06024.jpg

DSC06017.jpg

Here my wife is cutting off the neck with the fillet knife I mentioned.
DSC06035.jpg

There is much more to it which I will eventually share on my own thread. But you were asking about pictures of tools so I still went a bit overboard. LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom