CHICKEN BUTT FEATHER PICKER IS THE COLPRIT.....ADVICE PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GretaGarboFirst, Mar 27, 2015.

1. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I think I got to the BOTTOM of the red butt/bleeding problem. One of my chickens ( whose butt is fine.....no surprise there) has been caught pecking chicken butts. She does not seem to do it from aggression but curious and just pokes at their butts.. I am re-thinking that perhaps she should be the one who gets caged so the others can heal. I have been separating the two that have been bleeding currently. Please help....I hate seeing my hens hurt like this.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Feather picking can be caused by boredom, improper feed/vitamin or nutrient/protein deficiencies, lack of space/overcrowding. It's also possible the other birds can start feather picking as well....taught by the original feather picker. You can try caging her as you stated, for about a week and see if that helps. Feed her gamebird feed which is higher in protein, then gradually wean her off the gamebird feed back to regular layer feed. Then reintegrate her in with the others. If she starts feather picking again, time to get rid of her. Put Nu-Stock on the bare bottoms of the others until healed. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves. Nu-Stock can be found in the equine section at a feed store.

3. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for your help and insight. They have such a nice large coop 6x8 feet. Also a great protected turn out. Only 5 of them . I will try the nutrient food and lock her up for a week in the cage. Also use what you suggested on the birds. Thank you so very much. It is really a bit scary for me when something like this happens....I guess that experience comes over time. I will update with my results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by