Chicken butts??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trapper john, Feb 27, 2013.

1. trapper john

trapper john Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    I noticed that there is som poo building up on the backside of my chicks should I be cleaning that off? Or will they take care of that on there own??

2. Barn Mama

Barn Mama Out Of The Brooder

It may be vent gleet..... runny, smelly pooh, or known as yeast infection. You have to give her an epsom salt soak...in a tub add 1/4 cup epsom salts and warm water not to hot, and let her lay in it. ( you can pre wash off the pooh) then take her out and towel dry then blow dry. Then next step is to feed her 2 tsp of olive oil, either with a syringe or with the food.

3. trapper john

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    No smell everything looks ok it's not one bird it's all of them. Not a lot of build up about the size of a marble they are all kinda picking at each others backsides? Today I noticed that they where all Fairly clean, I'm feeding them chick starter and wate

4. trapper john

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    Sorry a water additive with vitamins and electro lights. That's for the help I'm gonna keep an eye on them..

5. Barn Mama

It could be sticky bottom......

6. trapper john

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    whats sticky bottom?? Sounds painfull!! Lol

7. Barn Mama

Sorry been àway for a while...sticky bottom is when the poop gets stuck to the chicks vent preventing them form pooping, it builds up and they die. But you can just rub a lttle vaseline on the crust then work it with your fingers till it comes off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by