Chicken calculator settings for this hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by footballcoachmiller, Dec 31, 2010.

1. footballcoachmiller

footballcoachmiller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Dandridge, TN
    I am trying to find a match for the color of this chicken on the chicken calculator. If anyone knows what settings I should use for this color please let me know. This EE hen has a blue feather with red lacing and lemon colored hackle feathers. I would like to reproduce this color. I have a Blue laced silver EE roo and a EE roo that is what I think is a blue wheaton.

[​IMG]

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    not sure on the calculator, i would sugest you pare her with the wheaten rooster and then breed a son from that mating back to her.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    she has no real color pattern. please show us the blue wheaton if you could
    punky [​IMG]

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I have an EE that looks almost EXACTLY like that! so pretty [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd like to see pics of your EE roosters to choose from. [​IMG] To put her exact color on the calculator would be tricky, as most EE's have a very "salad-like" genepool of colors, but I could easily say she's got some duckwing in there, some blue in there, gold coloring of course, and possibly but not entirely to a likelyhood, some columbian in there. The appearance of lacing may be some melanizers and may be something else. . .

As for reproducing the color, I'd like to see your roosters. Some EE's that look like Blue Wheatens are more of a Blue Breasted Red, and some are indeed blue Wheatens. If not, your blue laced silver looking one may be the ticket, as it sounds like he's a silver duckwing with melanizers. (The duckwing is what you want) - If you breed those two, half your offspring will turn out what you want.

6. footballcoachmiller

Sep 24, 2009
    Dandridge, TN
    I will post pics of the roosters tommorrow

7. footballcoachmiller

Sep 24, 2009
    Dandridge, TN
    Here are the two roos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Those are not even close to blue Wheaton! That is just a mix color you probably won't get anything like that hen

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm just guessing- but I would try crossing a buff columbian over a blue laced red. Might give you some sort of lemon-blue-lacey color like your girl. She's beautiful!

10. footballcoachmiller

Sep 24, 2009
    Dandridge, TN
    I didn't think I would either. The only other roosters I have are a BLRW and GL cochin and a Buff cochin but I was wanting to keep EE traits if possible. I am sure none of these will come any closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by