Chicken Calls Finally Recorded

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Aug 27, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So I had a previous thread about hawks flying around while my chicks are outside, and how I figured out how to make them run and hide when a predator is overhead. It's worked wonderfully, and even at almost 8 weeks old they still have the same enthusiasm as when they were itty bitty. Anyway, here's a video of them running to the covered area I set up near the raspberry bushes

[​IMG]

I also figured out their "Pay Attention!" call. It's a short trill, and it causes them to pause and scan the air or sit still for a second. I think they do this when they are unsure if they are in danger, but it brings attention to whatever is going on that is potentially dangerous. I did this for the first time today, and when it was time to record they were kind of desensitized because I kept doing it. Haha, oh well!

This is what it sounds like, and the GLW in the front still responds. The others are too distracted with food.

[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Thanks! I wondered about this sound too. Glad you got it recorded. I've a mind to try it myself. The "question" sound sounds a lot like my cockatiels sound she makes that means pretty much the same thing.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That's cool. My rooster does all the warning for me, but it's neat that you have figured out how to be their rooster. [​IMG]

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Thanks! Yeah it has been a HUGE help with all the hawks flying over my backyard. They aren't in their permanent coop yet, since it's being built at our new property that we haven't moved to yet and we have a freakishly high number of hawks in the area for being in the middle of the suburbs. It's nice knowing that in case something WAS on the hunt for one of them they'd have the sense to listen to my warning and run for cover. It still cracks me up whenever I see it though! Hahaha

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by