Chicken Camping Anyone?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Oct 8, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Your probably thinking "Chicken Camping? What's that?" Here's what it is.

A couple years ago, I decided to take chickens to the extreme. I packed clothes, a tent, food, and the last thing you'd think about when camping... chickens!! That's right! I got two of my best chickens.. AND a lage bird cage. I stuck a wooden perch inside the cage, and packed food for them. BTW we horse camp also. So we loaded the horses, and put the poor chickens cage inside the living quarters. We reached camp only to find out that it was full. We then went to French Creek Horse Camp. We set up camp, and the poor chickens sat in their small cage. I would also let them out to free-range. What I'd to is tie up one of their legs so they wouldn't run away. Lol!! Pretty crazy!!!

So has anyone else done that? [​IMG]

2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I haven't done it yet, but I certainly would! They are so lucky to have you let them "see the world"!

3. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    no i haven't but i have been thinking of taking them to the beach with me... [​IMG] not sure what the police would say? [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Santa Cruz police? Well, given that it's legal to be fully nude within the city limits, I don't think a beach-going chicken will be a problem to the police at all.
    [​IMG]

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Did your chickens enjoy it? I'd love to see pictures of chickens on holiday!

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Love this story!

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Quote:I don't know if they did or not. I think they did! I might have to ask them! [​IMG]

8. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I would love to see pictures too!!!! Got any??? PLEASE post them!!![​IMG]

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've seen photos of people with their pet chickens on the beach on harnesses and leads! But camping?

I'd only take my Milly, she's the only one that comes when called and runs to me when she thinks there's danger! Everyone else would run off lol

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd be afraid the racoons or possums would get mine. Not to mention a bear wandering by and grabbing a snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by