Chicken can’t sit, stand or walk

Cinderblock

Chirping
Mar 7, 2020
On Easter I came home to find that one of my three year old hens couldn’t walk, sit upright or stand. She was laying on her side inside the coop. She is a heavy breed (Dixie Rainbow) and has had problems with bumble foot and poop sticking to her rear. Over the last few years I have treated the bumble foot in all of the ways with no real success. I live in a very cold northern climate and haven’t treated her for anything since last falls. I suspect she might also have depluming mites. My birds free range and so who knows what other parasites she might have currently. I have tried soaking her in case she was egg bound, I also cut the infection out of her foot this past Monday and have left them bandages. It was been very cold and snowy so I haven’t soaked her again since then. I have kept her isolated in a dog kennel in our shop. She is alert, eating and drinking and pooping (probably not as much as normal). She hasn’t laid an egg in the past week. I don’t think any leg bones are broken. She tries to stand and just can’t…,maybe a hip thing? I haven’t treated her for the depluming mites yet but recently purchased ivermectin injectable. Would love specific directions on how to use it and if I should use it at this point. Any ideas on why she can’t walk? Of course I’ve thought about Marek’s but don’t know. She was purchased from a hatchery/farm store so I’m assuming she was vaccinated for that. Hoover Hatchery I think. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have Safeguard but have yet to treat any of my birds for it. I can’t attach a video unfortunately.

Attachments

• F3754C71-978C-45B1-BA00-22412757CE93.jpeg
    F3754C71-978C-45B1-BA00-22412757CE93.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
I have a hunch. Humor me. Remove her bandages from her feet and set her on her feet. See if she feels like walking with the bandages removed.

If you've had any severely cold temps in the past few days, she could have hypothermia. Give her some warm Gatoraid or mix up a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda and give it to her to drink.

If you suspect feather mites, you may place two or three drops, more if she's heavier than five pounds, on the skin on the back of her neck. Likewise with the rest of the flock. Repeat in two weeks.

I have a hunch. Humor me. Remove her bandages from her feet and set her on her feet. See if she feels like walking with the bandages removed.

If you've had any severely cold temps in the past few days, she could have hypothermia. Give her some warm Gatoraid or mix up a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda and give it to her to drink.
She has not been exposed to the cold. It was beautiful last Sunday and she has been kept in our heated shop ever since. She has had bumble foot before and bandaged feet have never prevented her from walking. I notice her nails are worn down very unevenly, so I think her walking was off due to the bumble foot. She is a very heavy bird. I am planning on taking off the bandages and soaking her today to clean her and then put some ivermectin drops on.

My reasoning on taking the bandages off is that they appear to be very thick at her instep, forming an unstable "ball" preventing her from gripping the ground to maintain balance. It's also impossible for a chicken to roost with cumbersome wraps.

When you add something like these thick bandages to constrict the talons, the chicken will go into a lame/paralysis act, not wanting to stand or move at all. Since you'll be removing the bandages anyway, see if she suddenly recovers balance and ability to stand and walk once her feet can flex again.

Perhaps you can forego several layers of bandage when you rebandage.

Back
Top Bottom