Chicken cannot stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jade Bird, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Jade Bird

Jade Bird New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    I have a one month old chick that I found today unable to stand, and laying on it's side. It is eating, drinking water, popping, and everything feels normal. It seems healthy, but a little less communicative and active that usual. I have it on electrolyte water and separated from the other chickens. If anyone has an idea of what this might be, then that could be helpful. The temperature has been around one hundred degrees, and maybe that is the cause, but the other chickens are all just fine. Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Dehydration is a good call to treat for first because of the heat. Give some SaveAChcik or other brand of electrolytes in the water. Look for other symptoms that could be coccidiosis or another illness. Avian encephalomyelitis can cause lameness, lying on the side, and affects chicks under a month old. After it starts drinking well, hopefully it will act normally. Coccidiosis can be a common illness in younnger chicks, with symptoms of lethargy, weakness, hunched posture, not eating, and runny or bloody droppings. Corid is a good treatment.

3. Jade Bird

Jade Bird New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by