chicken cannot walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pepino305, Nov 15, 2011.

1. pepino305

pepino305 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Hello,
    I have a hen about 10 months old that has hobling a few days ago. Now she is just laying and not moving must. It appears she has lost a nail and doesn't want me to touch her legs. Her poop was also runny. Any ideas of what i should do or cause? Thanks,

2. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    [​IMG] You would get a better response by posting your question here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=10

It
    is recommended to try answering these questions as best you can for the other members and myself to have a better idea of what's going on. (copy and paste and write in your answers after each question to try making it easier)

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

3. pepino305

pepino305 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    thanks for your intrest. Here is my reply

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) -- orpington buff, about 8 months old. Now sure weight, but nice looking
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. - she was in the coop, but could not roost. I had to move her to the water as I don't think she had gotten any water, and she at and drank well
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - 1 day
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? -- No, I have 9 others and they appear to be ok.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. --- I don't think so, but doesn't like when i touch her legs. She also has a missing nail
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -- Don't know
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -- Water and regualar Laying feed and free ranging
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. -- runny
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? -- nothing but i seperated her from others
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? -- take care of it myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. -- I will get one tonight
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use -- in a coop, but also free range. I have straw down for bedding

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Don't have an answer, but giving you a bump.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by