Chicken cant stand and has fowl pox with mucus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoseV, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JoseV

JoseV New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi I'm new here and I have an emergency with my Plymouth rock chicken. she is about 4 years old She seems to have marek's disease because she cant stand and she has fowl pox for about 3 weeks. She has had a mucus buildup in the past three days..she also seems to have scaly leg mites which I'm not sure if that is why she cannot stand.She breaths hard and cannot eat or drink on her own. on her right leg she sits and her left leg she has it sideways back. I've given here water and warm crushed rice. I've started to treat her leg mites with cleaning her legs with warm water and putting vegetable oil followed with vapor rub. please help I'm scared we will loose her.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are you pretty sure she has pox? She may be getting wet fowl pox or a secondary infection. I would look inside her beak and down her throat for any yellow or gray patches that shouldn't be there. She could possibly have Mareks, but she could be so weak from everything else that she can't stand. Her putting the leg out to the back may be a Mareks sign. I would put her on some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water, and keep her warm. Have you had Mareks in the flock before?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. JoseV

JoseV New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    thank u for responding. I really appreciate it. this is the only chicken I've had and I've never had any problems with it.and it started probably ever since we placed 3 other broiler chickens with it but they were all vaccinated. I will try the electrolytes and poultry vitamins. she is now eating when placed food in front but seems kind of blind. she is also now cleaning herself. she started ever since I removed some dried mucus from her beak. she is also shedding feathers. I don't know if its a bad sign. she can barely put herself in these positions in the pictures below. I will check if she her throat as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    When did she start having trouble standing? 4 years is a rather old, but not unheard of, time for a bird to get Marek's. But the curled toes, apparent blindness, and inability to stand are all classic symptoms. There are other explanations, though: The blindness could be because of the fowl pox, the weakness of her legs could be because she isn't eating enough, and the curled toes could be because of a vitamin deficiency. It is really difficult to know for sure; I would treat for as many things as possible at once. Give her vitamins in her water, try to get her to eat, and try to keep the fowl pox from obstructing her breathing. Just in case it is Marek's, you could also try treating her with St. Johns Wort/hypericum (here is a link on that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by