chicken cant stand, lays on side and was panting.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencrazy21, Mar 15, 2013.

1. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    this morning i went to let my girls out. i noticed right away that my little Ellen wasn't quit right. she couldn't walk and fell to her side kind of using her wing to support her weight. i know that sometimes there legs fall asleep so i gave her a few minutes to gather herself then stood her up and kind of supported her and once i let go she fell on her side and was panting. i knew better than to leave her up with the rest of the birds since they pick on the weak. so shes in the cage in the front yard. she did eat but she just sits there. i can get her to stand but once i let go she flops over. i flipped her on her back and ran my fingers along her leg. its the left leg. i didn't feel any breaks. when she tries to walk the leg drags behind her. I'm worried about sweet Ellen. shes my nephews favorite and I'm worried how hell handle it if she has to be culled. I'm not sure what kind she is but i do have a picture of her and my nephew that's a few weeks old. shes not skinny or anything and was fine just yesterday. any help is appreciated. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend of mine who breeds chickens but hes at work right now.

[​IMG]
    thats ellen. shes the same type of chicken as the one on the floor. ellens the only one i noticed a problem with. we didnt get them from the same place i dont think.

2. RyanFunFarm

RyanFunFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Hope Ellen recovers and you find answers. Wish I knew. Sending good thoights your way

3. chickencrazy21

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    thanks so do i. ive already had to give one chicken up to be culled i hate to have to give her up. my nephew everytime he comes over he goes up there and i swear she runs up to him and he picks her up.

4. RyanFunFarm

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Aw sounds like theyre close! Id try wrapping the leg before culling then

5. chickencrazy21

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    shes much better now. she perked up after laying an egg yesterday. according to my friend who breeds chickens when they first start laying and get egg bound it sometimes happends. few i was worried i was gonna loose my whole flock.

6. RyanFunFarm

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Ohhh egg bound! I didnt even think of that. Ill have to look up symptoms before my lil flock.comes of age

So happy for you, Ellen and your nephew! And phew for whole flock!
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by