Chicken can't stand - Please Help!

red97

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
About a week ago I noticed my 5yo bantam hen was loosing weight and wasn't coming out of the coop in the morning with the other hen. We brought her in out of the cold and by the evening she seemed much brighter. However she appears not to be able to stand at all. She is slumped on her right side and she can barely move around, she just kind of kicks about with one leg. She doesn't seem to be completely paralysed however as she still moves her leg back when you try to extend it out. Could it be Marek's? She has been vaccinated but obviously vaccinations can fail. She still has a very healthy appetite, but can only eat or drink out of my hand when I offer it to her, (she falls flat on her face otherwise) and seems healthy in all other respects, apart from her breathing seems to be more labored (maybe from being slumped over?) When I pick her up, her right leg seems to hang to one side underneath her stomach. She didn't return to the coop a few nights ago and got locked out as a result, so I did consider that she may have got into a bit of a pickle with Mr fox, but I can't find any signs of injury. Any ideas please? I'm starting to run out!

I would think she probably has suffered an injury since she is 5 and was vaccinated for Mareks. Have you added any new birds in the last month or two? I would probably pen her in a small area with food and water to rest her leg for a week or two. Put some vitamins in her water. Since she is improving inside in the warmth, I would keep it up for a couple of days more.

Thanks for your reply, no new birds lately, we actually only have too at the minute as a fox managed to get in not long ago, so we were slightly worried about separating them, however neither seem distressed for now, it's just not ideal. Will try adding the vitamins and see how she goes - fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom