Chicken cant stand up, any info would be much appreaciated

meganhundley

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2015
Heathsville, VA
Ok, so I have a chicken that I hatched back in May of this year, there were 7 chicks in total. All of them seemed to be very healthy except for 1. About 2 weeks after she hatched she started losing her coordination and couldn't stand. 1 day she was fine and literally the next she couldn't stand or even hold herself upright while laying down. Obviously, at first, our first thought was Mareks. Her legs were essentially paralyzed, she always had both legs straight out in front of her or 1 in the front and 1 in the back, like she was doing the splits. She ate like a horse but never gained any weight. Then out of the blue, when she was around 3 months old, she started making progress, she started standing on her own, she was very off balance but she could stand, then she started walking again and gained some weight. She never regained her full mobility but she was able to get around on her own. Now, about 3 weeks after making progress, she seems to be going backwards again. Her legs are always straight out in front or behind her and she can't stand, she keeps her feet curled up, she falls over while laying down and can't right herself. The other 6 chickens are happy and healthy and about 2 times her size, I also have several other chickens and none of them have ever had any problems, just her, which is why i assumed it wasn't Mareks. Out of 20 chickens,.she is the only one with these symptoms. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong and what I can do to help her or get her better? We do not have a poultry vet anywhere near us so taking her the vet is not an option.

Could you post some pictures of your chicken? Have you treated her with any vitamins throughout her illness? Riboflavin or B2 is good to help with leg problems, and is found in vitamin B complex tablets, which can be crushed into food. Mareks symptoms do not show up ever before the age of 3 weeks old, and usually later between 5-25 weeks on average. Mareks still might have been the problem after 3 weeks old. A spinal deformity (spondylopathy) could have caused the problems, but that should not suddenly get better after 3 months. It would be hard to know what exactly the problem is, but you could someday get a necropsy and testing for Mareks if she dies. Here is a good article with more info on Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom