Chicken cant stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by claireree, Sep 18, 2011.

1. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

Ive had this chicken since it was a chick and it seems to have grown up very quickly, although it seems be fine bright eyed and happy and it seems to be eating and drinking it just does not seem to be able to stand up, it seems to walk about then callopse under its own weight.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I wish I could offer advice but this will bump you back to the top! Good Luck!

3. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks but i have been asking about and found out that these breeds are used over here in Spain as eating chickens, apparantly they grow very quick then once they are fully grown they are ready for the pot, great poor thing looks it will have to be put of its misery.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Looks like the meaties we have here called Cornish/Rocks. They get to where they can't stand well. Some people whithhold feed to slow them a little. I switch from 20% grower to 15% grower to slow them down.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Yes, unfortunately that looks and sounds like it's a meat bird. They were designed to grow quickly and to not live very long [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by