Chicken can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Top Rooster, May 6, 2017.

1. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I have 4 chicks that are about 3 months old and one of them got sick and stopped moving and just stood and slept but then I realized she was getting outgrown by a lot and so I seperated her because she was getting trampled but it only got worse she can't stand now and she's lost a lot of weight I can see her bone. She does eat and drink though so I don't know why she is so small and skinny I often see her drink so I don't think she's dehydrated and every time I give her food she eats so it's very confusing. Does she have mereks,can a chick even get mereks. Does she have a disease?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?

Will she eat on her own - free choice?
    How is she laying - legs splayed, legs under her, on her side, etc.?

It's so hard to know what's going on. Do your best to keep her hydrated and offer her some poultry vitamins in her water. Encourage her eat and give a some chopped egg or tuna in a addition to her chick starter.

Having a vet test for Cocci, worms and bacterial infection would also be a good idea.

You ask about Marek's. That is a possibility. The most common age range that symptoms start to show is 12-25wks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I'm afraid she is not worth a vet trip but her legs are hinder her. She does eat and drink on her own.

4. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    She also I think has control of her legs she just doesn't have the energy

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do the best you can to keep her hydrated and see that she is eating her chick starter.

I'm sorry, I wish I had better answers.

6. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    We ended up putting her down as she was not getting better sorry I didn't update you sooner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by