Chicken cant walk (permentantly disabled??)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmullet, Jul 19, 2019.

1. cmullet

cmullet Chirping

Nov 11, 2008
    had a "runt" of the flock that at about 2 weeks wouldn't stand up. thought she was being trampled and/or bullied by the other ones so I separated her. shes about 3 months old now and still cant stand. Took her to the vet, he feels its neurological and she was born with it. I have been giving her Prednisone 2x a day for 9 days now. she only has a couple more days left. otherwise she is totally fine. Eating and drinking, throws herself all around the pen. (I have chix wire separating her from the rest of the flock, but they are still "together") she is super sweet too! I have been stretching her legs 2x a day as well. I will not Euthanize her, she doesn't appear to be in any distress, she gets frustrated she cant stand, but otherwise is ok I think. does anyone have a disabled chix?? I will need to bring her in the house in the fall as she cant get off the ground to stay warm and dry. right now a small cat carrier is her coop. any thoughts?? my husband thinks I am crazy for saying I will bring her in the house for the winter. but what else could I do! I am thinking a large Tupperware bin like what they were in as babies. anyone have a disabled chix that is happy and healthy otherwise???

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I'm still bringing my pullets in the house during the night, so don't think you're crazy. I'm sure your husband sees you're attached to her! Tell him there are such things as chicken diapers.

Perhaps if you gave her some vitamin B.

3. cmullet

cmullet Chirping

Nov 11, 2008
    I assume they make liquid Vitamin B?? someone else told me lavender oil, to rub on her leg but they vet said no he didn't think that was good for her.
    my husband does, and he really doesn't care, he just thinks im nuts, LOL

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I hope that when you bring your girl inside, she won't get lonesome being separated from her flock mates. I don't believe I've seen liquid vitamin B. They come in tablets which you can crush and place in her water. 1/2 tablet I believe. They are found at Wal-Mart or a health food store.

5. cmullet

cmullet Chirping

Nov 11, 2008
    oh ok good to know on the Vit B I will try that. there is nothing I can do about her getting lonely, I can put her back in her section of the pen on nice days, maybe a blanket on the ground?

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    If the temperature change doesn't bother her, from coming out of your warm house into the cold. Depending on how your winters temps are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: