Chicken cant walk properly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LydiaT, Jan 1, 2017.

1. LydiaT

LydiaT Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    Hi, my chicken was walking a bit strange for a while and it gradually got worse and now she is using her wings to steady herself and holding up one foot. She has some bad scaley leg mite that we are trying to treat. We have been giving her salt water baths as she had a cut on her foot which seems to be gone now but I've noticed some dark purple spots on her leg and foot (bruises?). She is still eats and drinks and is very alert. Any help would be much appreciated, she is a lovely hen.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post some pictures? How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Check the pads of her feet for darks scabs and look for any swelling of her legs or joints.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

For the scaly leg mites I heard putting Vaseline on the legs kills the mites.....

Look also on the bottom of her foot....Possible Bumble Foot...?

Cheers!

4. LydiaT

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    She is 2-3 years old and not vaccinated for mareks. Her leg joints do not feel swollen and I can't see any dark scabs and I'll try the Vaseline idea for the mites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, some bad scaly leg mites. I have heard some report that cheap castor oil, sold in Walmart and drug stores works very well on leg mites, and may not need to be applied that often. Usually a soak in warm soapy water, gently rubbing the scales with a toothbrush to loosen them, and applying some sort of oil (vegetable oil, Vaseline, castor oil) once a week for several weeks is good to do. But in the cold weather, make sure that she is dried thoroughly, or skip the leg bath.

6. LydiaT

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    Ok awesome, thanks I'll give that a try [​IMG]

7. islandfarmer

islandfarmer New Egg

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a similar problem with one of my young adult hens. She was fine one day now she is unable to walk due to both feet curling inward. She looks great and has a healthy appetite. We've been giving her a B complex in her water for 4 days with no results. She was purchased as a chick at the Farm store so I'm assuming she was vaccinated. Does anyone have any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by