Chicken can't walk... took to the Vet **PICS**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ellie, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I thought I would share with you what I have learned: BYC folks really know their stuff. (especially Cynthia...Speckled Hen). [​IMG]

My 3 yr old Buff Orpington, Emily limped out of the coop into the run on Wednesday last week... she just sat there. I picked her up and discovered that she could not walk. She just dragged her right leg behind her. I have a friend who is a nurse and she examined her and could find no breaks in the leg nor any swelling.

I isolated Emily and fluffed up her shavings. She is in a doghouse in a dog pen.. that is the "broody place". Anyway, she eats but cannot get up and walk. I decided that she needed to go to the vet. She is, after all one of my 2 broody mamas and has raised a few broods so I felt she deserved the visit.

So, the vet today confirmed that nothing is broken. He said it was most likely tissue damage and to keep her isolated, quiet and warm. Well, golly gee, where have we heard that before? See, great advice on this forum. [​IMG]

He said that she is very thin and this may turn into "failure to thrive" at some point. It is very cold here in Northern California and we are setting record lows. She has been in the doghouse with blankets over it, but it has been 15 degrees here at night. I believe that is why she is so thin because she is eating well. She has had her warm oatmeal and scrambled eggs routinely. Yogurt too. [​IMG]

So, today she is in the house in a cage where it is 62 degrees. I sure hope that helps her. He gave her some vitamins (Lixotinic) and said to put 4 drops per day on her beak and she will snort it up.

I just wanted to share with you so others could learn from the experience. The best part was that the visit was $30.00 and he asked what her name was. That seems important to me!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

awwww.. I hope she decides living is worth while.

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, I sure hope so too. Now of course, I feel guilty for not having her be where it is warmer. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm hoping for the best for Emily. If Ivy can come back from the brink of death twice, then there is hope for Miss Em. Lord knows what the vet would have said about Ivy if he'd examined her at those two times, but they are amazing animals and sometimes, their bodies can "catch hold" and improve when there doesn't seem to be any hope. Emily has been a wonderful broody mama for you and you're doing the best for her now. She's a lucky girl.

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Gee, I wish we had a vet around here that treated chickens for thirty bucks.
    Maybe the vitamins will perk her up. You are taking such good care of her.
    Renee

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Good luck to you and Miss Emily!

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, everyone. Emily hasn't walked since the first day down the ramp and second day she hobbled over to the sunshine. Since then, she has moved only a few inches.

Cyn, thanks for reminding me of your Ivy.

Renee, I was amazed at the price which is why I mentioned it. It is a country vetinary clinic but I still expected it to be higher... this IS California, lol

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Wow, I don't think any of our local vets would even be able to treat a chicken! They know dogs, cats, and horses, but not anything else. [​IMG] I took in a sick goat a few months ago and they had no idea what to do, they just offered to get on the internet and do a search of her symptoms. I knew what was wrong with her, and told them, and they asked me if I knew what to do for it. I did, and they sent me home with her to treat her myself! Fortunately they didn't charge for it. I think if I walked in with a chicken, they'd be really puzzled and tell me just to get a new one to replace it. That's pretty much what they told me the issue is with goats...it's cheaper to buy a new one usually than to try treating it, so they don't even bother with them really.

I hope your girl gets better!

9. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I was worried when they said no one does chickens when I called. They then said we have two who will see them. Don't know what that means, but he seemed pretty good. He even checked for nerve damage and there was none.

I finally got home from work so I can see her and she is sleeping in the spare bedroom. Seems ok. I am off work tomorrow so I can take care of her and tend to her needs.

10. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Update:

Emily is sitting in a cage in the living room. There is a nice fire blazing in the wood stove and I am going to let her watch "The Egg and I" today. Right now she is watching the food channel so she will eat and she is eating well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by