chicken cant walk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quickzemke, Jan 29, 2017.

1. quickzemke

quickzemke New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    My hen is eating and drinking but cant walk far. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago because her nails were so long and curling under. I thought that was the problem but it wasn't. She wobbles and little way and then sits down. It seems like her legs hurt. She is about 3 years old. She is a barnvelder and a pretty hen. She is in with 12 other hens that now don't like her and bully her. I feed her separately or she will hide her head in a corner. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many things can cause troubles with walking from injuries to diseases like Mareks. Unfortunately there's probably nothing you can do for her. If she doesn't improve in a week or two I would probably cull her and end her suffering.

Other chickens will instinctively try to drive her out to prevent diseases from spreading. So any odd acting birds will often get attacked.

3. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Hi quickzemke. Welcome to backyard chickens. Got to agree with oldhenlikesdogs. Something is wrong, either injury or illness of some sort. If she is spending her time huddled with her head in a corner first thing I would do is get her in a pen by herself where you can observe and offer supportive care. Her nails have been trimmed. Have you given her any probiotics or vitamins? Some vitamin deficiencies can present with wobbly gait, also if she is being bullied by the other hens, she may not be eating as much as she should. I would give her water spiked with rooster booster or some other vitamin/probiotic of your choice, make she has plenty of good food in front of her along with some high protein treats such as scrambled/boiled egg, tuna or a can of cat food. Whatever you can get her to eat and just watch her. If she is going to get stronger and walk better she will, if not another trip to the vet may be in order.

If she gets better than you may face the dilemma of what to do with her. If you can rehome her you might have to other than return her to a flock that is mistreating her.

If she has Marek's she will worsen. There are threads here on BYC that you can read on the subject. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is just a matter of being bullied.

Good luck and keep us informed.

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Any chance she's got bumble foot? Can you wash her feet really well and see if there are any scabs? Maybe the curled nails injured the bottom of the foot. Also if they showed you how and you're confident, keeping the nails trimmed might help.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Welcome to BYC!
    Have you had her long?
    Wonder if the long nails is because she never walked well?
    What did the vet have to say about the hard time walking?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by