1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken cant walk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Willie, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Willie

Willie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    Spring brook Pa.
    My Millie won't walk for a few days now,we put her in warm water and gave her some vitamin's.

Any body help,I don't know what else to do.

2. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    My rooster done this....I killed him after a week of no signs he was getting better. You could take a chicken to the vet, but by the time you pay the bill, you could have bought ten replacements. Your choice, but either way don't let them suffer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Agree 100% chickens need to eat, run about with their flock, flap their wings to be healthy happy chickens. If the chicken is not getting better and everything reasonable has been done to try to heal it then it's time is up.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Don't kill him yet. I had the same thing with a hen a few weeks back, she is fine now. She was unable to walk for almost 8 days, I gave her Vit. B12 and Vit. E in her food everyday for two weeks, she is back with the flock and doing great. I also gave her some electrolyte solution form the feed store, it won't hurt to try this, hope it helps.

5. kid-n-chickens

kid-n-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    I would hold off on culling her as well, this summer we had one that the rooster bit/pulled on the leg. Could not see any injury but she would not walk or move. We seperated her off and put feed and water where she could get to it and there was several times that I thought culling was best after about two weeks she was up and about. This happened very slowly as she would turn her body away from the food and water eventually wobbled a few inches away , then wobbled into the hut etc. During this time her legs swelled b/c of the non movement but she is doing great. So point is that she may have suffered a leg injury give her 2 or 3 weeks to heal keeping the water and feed in front of her so she has easy access this may take changing the position of the waterer and feeder two of three times a day. and the vitamins and couldnt hurt.

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Rereading the first post, I was likely too quick to send the hen to the chopping block. But I would certainly set up some expectations in treating the chicken. Things need to be improving even if only slowly and who knows how long recovery might take or how full it might be but somehow that needs to get defined into what is acceptable and what is not.

An injury with a known MOI (mechanism of injury) I hold out more hope for than an unknown potential injury or illness.

She will need to be separated from the flock for here own good and also to minimize the potential for spread of desease if that should be the root of the problem.

Getting food in, poop out and preventing secondary infections will be the big challenge.

Good luck with it but don't let her suffer if she does not make a turn for the better.

7. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I found the info. on Vit. B in the search engine on BYC, seems like this inability to walk due to deficiencies(? spelling) is common. I am glad I learned this and have seen the positive results. This of course happened to my favorite hen. She comes up to me everyday to say thanks. I also did the warm baths to help her stiff legs, the first few days when she started to stand and take a few labored steps she tired quickly, but each day she could do more and more and now she is fine, back with the flock, jumps onto the roost and free ranges just fine, only neg. to her is that she WAS top hen. Reintroduction to the flock took a few days, the new top hen was not happy to see her return for a few days, they are fine now, but I have to save her from some pecking/fighting for the first couple of days. Good luck

8. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to keep cranassure soft gel caps on hand. Feed one to the hen every morning and an almond or two in the evening.

9. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Quote:Is this a medicinal feeding, or a daily supplement. What issue is it trying to correct?

Thanks

10. Willie

Willie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    Spring brook Pa.
    Well here is what I have seen so far she was good one Day the next Day she just laid there.
    So we took here inside gave her Vitamins, water with an Eyedropper because I am not sure if she is drinking on her own.
    I am not sure if she is Egg-bound or if she has a poop problem,today I gave her some yogurt and water when I got home.
    When I put her in warm water,she freaked out she did not like it at all so I put a heat light on her which she lays under.
    We also rub her Belly,I am not sure if that will help,but I am trying what ever I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by