1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken carnage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MindySchoeb, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MindySchoeb

MindySchoeb New Egg

Jun 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    can someone help with a question?
    a cat just got 4 of my 5 1 month old chicks. The one girl who's left is a Gold Laced Polish. I didn't think chickens could survive alone. Do I need to look for some sisters or a new home with other gals, or can we still keep just her?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry. That's difficult. I'm still new to this, but yes, I believe she needs someone else to keep her company.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    More chickens would be the kindest thing. Unless you have time to be with her 24/7....Also I would really amp up security if I were you before getting any more chickens. Silly Cat.

4. MindySchoeb

MindySchoeb New Egg

Jun 19, 2009
    I can't figure out how she got them. (darn cat) The coop and run are completely encased in chicken wire, no holes no signs she (or anything) dug under the ground. [​IMG] Yoko Ono (the survivor) is calling and calling for her "sisters" i have been holding her for the past hour or so and she slept, but she's not eating. Should I worry?

5. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sad. Check craigslist. Or your local "where are you" BYC thread. I'm sure someone has or knows of something. I'm sure it was traumatizing for her. Are you sure it was the cat? Did you see the cat attacking or was it perhaps just checking out the site afterwards? Sounds kind of like a weasel to me.

6. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Also consider upgrading the chicken wire to galvanized hardware cloth or wire. Most predators that want to try can get through chicken wire (although holes are usually left in that case)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by