Chicken carry eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doIreallylikeeggsthismuch, Jan 14, 2011.

1. doIreallylikeeggsthismuch

doIreallylikeeggsthismuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Crazy question??? Can a chicken carry an egg in her wing from one nesting box to another???

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes. I haven't seen it done using the wing, but I have seen a hen tuck an egg between her neck and chest and move it.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto. Totally amazing sight, too! They are remarkably clever, for animals without hands!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Before my adult hens started laying well it drove me crazy trying to figure out how the golfballs were being moved from one nestbox to another. One golfball completely disappeared out of the coop. I find it outside about a year later.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Yea! Mine keep moving the eggs too! LOL When I had a broody, she moved her eggs like 4 times before they hatched! UGH! She confused me a few times because I couldn't figure out which nest box she moved to (my birds look almost all alike)!

6. doIreallylikeeggsthismuch

doIreallylikeeggsthismuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Thank you ......My little broody hen is moving eggs and I thought I was going CRAZY!!

7. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Quote:Amazing! Now I know I'm not crazy.

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    wow

9. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    THat is amazing! I wonder with my set-up if they'd be able to do that. The nest boxes have a little ledge the chickens step over (probably 3 or 4 inches, it keeps the hay in the box).

It reminds me of that games children play at parties where they pass a balloon down a line using only their chins and necks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by