Chicken Checklist

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicChick223, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ChicChick223

ChicChick223 In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2018
    Missouri
    Could someone please help me make a Chicken Checklist for adult and baby chicks?

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  2. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    What exactly are you wanting to check off? With chickens there could be many checklists.

3. ChicChick223

Dec 27, 2018
    Missouri
    Just like the basic things i'll need to get

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  4. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Are you starting with just baby chicks from a hatchery/breeder or are you getting a mixed aged flock, adults and chicks?

5. ChicChick223

Dec 27, 2018
    Missouri
    I'm getting some baby chicks

6. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Oh goodie, you are starting with the bitties! There are several good articles on BYC and here are a couple:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-raise-chickens.47660/

I started with four pullets in 2016, and have grown to 23 hens/pullets, 2 cockerels, 3 4day old chicks with a broody pullet and 9 eggs in the incubator. Yes, I'm hooked.

Here are just a few things off the top of my head:
    • Brooders, the enclosure the chicks live in for several weeks, can be made out of just about anything: plastic tubs, cardboard boxes, one built from plywood, etc. My first brooder was a horse water trough and it worked really well. However, I then built a 4' square plywood box.
    • My preference on heating the brooder is a heating plate. It is much safer than heat lamps. I purchased mine from Premier One Supplies and I love it. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heating-plates-and-covers?cat_id=226
    • Feeders and Waterers can be purchased at Tractor Supply or any feed store. I started with the little plastic quart size. They are easy to use for chicks.
    • The feed I use is Purina Medicated Chick Starter.
    Read the articles above as they will answer so many of your questions. Also, others will chime in.

Good luck with your bitties, and more than anything have fun.

BirdieandFifi and aart like this.
  7. ChicChick223

Dec 27, 2018
    Missouri
    thanks

8. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    Corid powder. If you get chicks, you need Corid on hand before you get them. You may never have a coccidiosis problem, in which case you're wasting $16. But if you do, and it's not unlikely at all that you may, you need the medicine NOW. Right now. So keep that on hand. It is available at most farm stores with the cattle medications, no prescription necessary.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  9. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    This is true. With my other chicks I always fed Purina Start and Grow. But now that I have a mixed flock, my chicks, both broody raised and bator chicks, are eating Purina Flock Raiser. I need Corid on hand too. Thanks for that reminder.

Mosey2003 likes this.
  10. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)
    I'll take a stab at it:

• an enclosure * -- I used a box from Chewy covered with some hardware cloth
    • some bedding -- you'll need pine shavings eventually, might as well get them now
    • heating -- could be a heating pad, light bulb or a brooder, mama heating pad works for me
    • food -- you'll want crumbles for chicks
    • shallow containers for food & water **
    • chick grit ***
    • Nutridrench and other first aid supplies ****

* If you find a stick from the garden or a piece of dowel and put it through the corner of the box about 1" off the bottom they'll be able to begin roosting. Not necessary but nice.

** You've probably got something in your pantry that will do. Change it often because they're going to walk through both their food and water and even poop in them. You can also get little troughs that will screw on to quart jars that keep the food and water coming and cut back on their ability to spill and foul. ...somewhat. But they'll outgrow these pretty quickly and you'll be buying much larger ones for their use as juvenile and adult birds.

*** I just sprinkle it over their crumbles.

**** I take Nutridrench with me when I pick my chicks up at the Post Office in case they're any the worse for their travels. Other things to have onhand so you've got them when you need them are listed here. Can't emphasize enough that when you need them you need them NOW so it's never too soon to assemble them.

WindingRoad likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: