Chicken, Chickens and feather lose

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Necklace, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello.. I have two questions.

1. is it normal for chickens to be afraid of the dark? I have 10 hens and a rooster and at night they go into there pen great but only if I keep a light on in there coop.. right now it is just a red heating light so it helps keep them warm but if there is no light out there they freak out.. I thought chickens liked sleeping in a dark area but mine are all big chickens when it comes to the dark.. :/

2. one of my hens is a Naked-neck chicken and she was fine for a few months after I got her.. staying with the group and grazing with them.. but she started loosing her feathers on her back.. I figured it was just stress.. but now her feathers are starting to come back in but she stays by herself. She does not leave the coop with the others and stays away from them all as much as possible. I know she is eating.. drinking and laying her egg every day but she does not move around much and isolates herself.. is this normal sometimes for hens.. I check on her often in the coop and she is alert and looking around.. she still loves her treats as long as I put them next to her..

any advise would be great.. :)

2. MountainOrchard

MountainOrchard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Virginia
    1) I have no idea but I'm sure someone else will :)
    2) I would guess either she is molting (which can be painful and cause some behavior changes) or she is broody.

3. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    "broody" means that she is sitting on her eggs right? I am not sure.. all of my other hens lay and run.. when I check on her she is not always sitting on the nest she will be under the boxes hiding or way up top nested in the hay just looking around.. I worry about her.. she is a sweet bird..

Thank you for the help.. :)

4. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I would guess they could be afraid.Chickens stick at seeing in the dark,and can even become blind fora few minutes,this could be the reason their so frightened.

Broody means,they want to be mother.
    Often molting hens hide and run,but as in your other thread,she could have been picked on.Any new birds are often shunned...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by