Chicken chickens

Chicken Patti

Chirping
Apr 9, 2021
My girls have been the the henhouse for two nights now and I opened up the door so they can enjoy the run. They will not leave the henhouse, they come down the ramp but will not go on the ground. I took the food out of the roosting area to the floor of the run but still they wont come down. How do I get them down without stressing them out?
chicks on run.jpg

No the coop has pine shavings. They did make it out finally. I think they got hungry enough. It took them a day and a half but they did it and are happily enjoying thier new place.
They probably were scared of the sand(difference surface).
Glad they made the leap!

Glad they made it. Sometimes when I open the pop door every chick is on the run floor within 15 minutes. A few times they've gone into the third day of the pop door being open before the first one venture out. It can be hilarious, watching the bolder ones go up to the door, look out, and decide to not go out yet. This is without any adults around to influence them. Having adults around can change the dynamics even more.

I personally don't worry about it. When they are ready, they'll go. Waiting on them to decide to go out doesn't stress me out. They will go when they are ready.

If your next thread is "How do I get them to go back in the coop" I do get involved in that. I want them to sleep in a predator safe place.

Back
Top Bottom