1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken city ordinance

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicksdigme, Jul 6, 2007.

1. chicksdigme

chicksdigme New Egg

Jul 6, 2007
    does anyone know how to find out how many chickens your city or town will allow??

2. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    wondering the same thing.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    For chickens in my area i had to call the board of health. I called the town hall and that is where they directed me. The BOH hardly knew anything. I dont know why i even asked though.......I do what i want anyway. I already broke all the rules.......no roo's....i got a roo........limit of 10.....i am going on 16 [​IMG]
    So dont waste your time if your like me [​IMG]

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Many towns have their ordinances posted on the web. Find your towns web site and hunt around there (it's often buried deep in the site), or call City hall to see if it's posted. Then use the search feature to look for the following words, Chickens, Roosters, Fowl, Poultry, Livestock, Pets, Animals.

Often there will be two seperate places you'll need to look at. In the "land use" area you might find information and also on the "animals" area. You'll need to look both places, since some parts might be restricting placement and construction of the coop and some are about how many chickens you can have, restrictions on roosters -if any-, and nuisance requirements.

Sometimes chickens are not directly mentioned and you'll have to read the language VERY carefully to see if their definition of "pets" or "livestock" more closely fits the situation. Read the "definitions" area. If chickens aren't directly mentioned as livestock you *might* be able to claim them as pets and use those restrictions.

Good luck. Our towns ordinances forbids chickens and we are currently working to change that: http://www.SoPoChickens.org

5. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
  6. rwcmick

rwcmick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
  7. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    I had good luck just using Google to search out my city's code. I live in Chicago so my search words were:

Chicago municipal code

Worked like a charm.

The actual location of in the municipal code may be kind of tricky. SeaChick's suggestion to search within the code for certain terms is your best option.

Thank goodness Chicago allows chickens, and even has no limitations on number. I'm only planning on getting 3 hens, and have alerted the nearby neighbors so I don't think I'll have any problems.

Interestingly, it is illegal to raise pigeons in a residential zone in Chicago. Guess there were a few pigeon fanciers who ticked off their neighbors...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by