1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken clans' genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamacanoes, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mamacanoes

mamacanoes New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    TN
    Obviously my little farmers are in love but I'm concerned about cockerel to pullet ratio. Looks like at least one maybe 3 cockerels eeeek! Praying some are just manly hens. Haha! Received as gift already sexed. // Also would appreciate opinions on the Orpingtons. I bought as straight run.// -Newbie madly researching this newfound love of chickens! Thank you!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. When they get old enough, post pictures for gender ID.

3. mamacanoes

mamacanoes New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    TN
    Sorry I hit submit accidently too quick. Here's the pic. :) [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Eek" is correct. There are 3 EE cockerels and 2 pullets. My opinion on the Orpingtons is that they are cute. [​IMG] Post pictures as they grow for gender ID.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sourland

6. mamacanoes

mamacanoes New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    TN
    Thank you both! I appreciate it! (So nice of you each to help a novice. I hope to pay it forward some day) I was desperately rooting for the black headed one (tiger). I think I am going to try to keep 2 or the roosters at least until drama occurs. (Researching heavily now on keeping multiple roosters w/o abusing hens.) The top right and Tiger are the favorites. Tiger and Skunk (ya kiddos dutifully named everyone whilst striped chicks) are completely amicable towards each other even though Skunk rules. Izzy the white one is the only instigator. // I understand there is an exception to every rule. Is it possible Tiger shown here could still turn out to be just just a manly hen? I've seen/read some hens develop combs like this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by