Chicken class for grade schoolers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by OCchickens, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I'm teaching a "mini-class" in my son's classroom (multi age - 1st-3rd grade) on chickens. We will be hatching some chicks. I'd like to cover some embryology & some basic info on chickens. Wondered whether anyone had done something similar & was familiar with any good visuals like slides, books, free stuff online, fun chicken-related projects, etc.
    Thanks!

2. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
  3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I just responded to a teachers craigslist ad, she's doing the same thing but needs someone to take the chicks once they finish hatching!!

4. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Thanks Ray for the links. Those are great. I especially love the second set of pix at haha.nu. And, yeah, that's great to score some partially raised chicks from a classroom. I did that last year from my daughter's preschool classroom. Usually the teacher just takes them back to the feedstore where she bought the eggs (I think they actually charge to take them back, after charging for the eggs in the first place).

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    that second link is kinda sad... how many eggs did they break open to do that photo op... (It makes me cry and I aint normally a softie!!!) I guess after last night fiasco I feel bad seeing a dead baby chick!! I know its for education but... cant ya just candle!!!! or please use the photos!!!!! My son is 6 and last night he almost cried about the lost baby we had!!!!
    [​IMG]
    SOrry I was on the soap box please forgive me!!!:

you know whats even sadder than the little chickie photos... if you scroll to the bottom there is a tyson chicken ad........thats is funny and sad at the same time....

GOSH I am turning into a freak....... I cant believe I just lectured about the chicken pics......... cut me off bartender!!!!

6. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Yes, I agree it is sad - I am a big softie too. But I did appreciate the clarity of the photos & how well you can see the development.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh, fun! I taught a class like that for elementary kids or younger and their parents at our local library.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by