Chicken Class Idea(Adult Ed)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by They Call Me Pete, Jan 19, 2010.

1. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Tossing around the idea of doing a adult ed class that they do at local high school on chickens. What do you think should be included besides shelter, feed/water, local laws, anatomy, predators, diseases ? My wife thinks I should spread my knowledge seeing how the backyard chicken keeping is becoming more popular. They just did a pretty big article in a local paper about it.

2. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Some info on breeds would be good, so people can more easily choose what to get based on their need. Heavy breeds, meat birds, bantams, colored egg layers, and what we like to call 'fancy birds'.

You may also want to include some basic info on the costs of getting set up. I see people on BYC all the time talking about how they spent a lot more money than they intended to get ready for their chickens.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Maybe composting... dealing with all the poo? Also, I wish that I had known more about how to cull. I was not really prepared for that aspect of raising chickens.

Sounds like a great class! Good luck!

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    PLease include a NO-NO list !!! No raw green potato peels, No Medication containing anything ending in caine, No moldy feed, etc.......But a great Idea. I wish I had one here. I am still learning.

5. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Quote:Great Idea!!!! but not only how but maybe why and when.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Chickens make a GREAT topic for a class. I took a public speaking class last winter and my final speech was about chicken-raising.
    Everybody loved it!

[​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Thanks for all the ideas. This year I will be a stay at home dad doing the homeschooling thing because my self-employment thing pretty much tanked last year so looking to get back into farming and raising my kids. The good thing is my wife has finally come off of nights after 10+ years and we will have more family time together. Life is good

9. nathan and lindsay

nathan and lindsay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum (and have never kept chickens). I live in Marlborough CT also and would love to get a couple of layers in the backyard (maybe 4 or so), no roosters. I would definitely take that class you were talking about. But I also had a question about the Town of Marlborough's policies on birds in the backyard. Namely: what is their policy? And where could I find that article in the local paper you mentioned?

Lindsay

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by