Chicken Class Idea(Adult Ed)

They Call Me Pete

Songster
13 Years
Mar 23, 2009
CT
Tossing around the idea of doing a adult ed class that they do at local high school on chickens. What do you think should be included besides shelter, feed/water, local laws, anatomy, predators, diseases ? My wife thinks I should spread my knowledge seeing how the backyard chicken keeping is becoming more popular. They just did a pretty big article in a local paper about it.

Some info on breeds would be good, so people can more easily choose what to get based on their need. Heavy breeds, meat birds, bantams, colored egg layers, and what we like to call 'fancy birds'.

You may also want to include some basic info on the costs of getting set up. I see people on BYC all the time talking about how they spent a lot more money than they intended to get ready for their chickens.

Last edited:
Maybe composting... dealing with all the poo? Also, I wish that I had known more about how to cull. I was not really prepared for that aspect of raising chickens.

Sounds like a great class! Good luck!

PLease include a NO-NO list !!! No raw green potato peels, No Medication containing anything ending in caine, No moldy feed, etc.......But a great Idea. I wish I had one here. I am still learning.

Chickens make a GREAT topic for a class. I took a public speaking class last winter and my final speech was about chicken-raising.
Everybody loved it!

2593_3507340480_ecc893b599_s2_2.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas. This year I will be a stay at home dad doing the homeschooling thing because my self-employment thing pretty much tanked last year so looking to get back into farming and raising my kids. The good thing is my wife has finally come off of nights after 10+ years and we will have more family time together. Life is good

Hi,
I'm new to this forum (and have never kept chickens). I live in Marlborough CT also and would love to get a couple of layers in the backyard (maybe 4 or so), no roosters. I would definitely take that class you were talking about. But I also had a question about the Town of Marlborough's policies on birds in the backyard. Namely: what is their policy? And where could I find that article in the local paper you mentioned?

Lindsay

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom