CHICKEN CLINGING TO LIFE! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by briter30, Feb 16, 2012.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    My dog just came home with someone else's chicken in its mouth. This is the first time this has happened. Anyway, my dog dropped the chicken out of its mouth and to my surprise, the chicken opened its eyes once I scurried my dog away. Right now, the full-sized chicken is in my house in a box. She is only able to move its neck up. When I first picked her up her breathing was very labored, but seemed to improve some (been 1 hour). I have seen no movement yet with the rest of her body though. I contacted the owners of the chicken and she said she is going out of town for several days and will not be able to nurse the chicken to health -if there is even a possibility of that. Anyway, I know most everyone would say cull her, but before I made that decision, my 7 year old son said that he believes God is teaching us a lesson to pray for a miracle. I love the faith of children. We are now praying for a miracle, but am wanting to know the best way to make this chicken most comfortable in the meantime. ANYONE? Currently it is not interested in food or water.

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Keep it warm, keep offering food and water. Is there blood anywhere? My poodle grabbed a rooster once and I thought sure it was going to die; but he didn't. Good luck. Tell your son he is a good boy!

3. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    If you have a syringe handy i would syringe some sugar water into her beak- will help with the shock- even better if you have rescue remedy a drop into her beak will help.

4. briter30

May 15, 2011
    There is a very little bit of blood on it's back..about where my dog was carrying her in his mouth. I don't notice any other blood anywhere else but I haven't really looked on her underside too much because I'm scared of handling her too much because I fear she is in pain. She was completely limp when my dog had her in her mouth bringing her home. Still no movement anywhere except a little neck movement. My dog is a Golden Retriever which is why I am scared she may have broken her back.

5. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I think this is going to be a wait and see. Unfortunately doesn't sound good. Can you syringe some juice or sugar water into her?

6. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Keep her warm and still. Also, keep offering food and water. They do seem to bounce back! I wish you and your son well!! I'm praying for the miracle too!!

7. briter30

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for replying and helping; unfortunately, the hen just died. :(

8. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    so very sorry.

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear the hen didn't make it. The next step is to ensure your dog or any other dog can't get to those chickens again. If your neighbor is going out of town, unless someone does something, sounds like their chickens do not have adequate protection from predators. They'll be lucky to have any chickens left when they return.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by