1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken cold symptoms and help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Calichicken2015, May 8, 2016.

1. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!
    I am hoping to get some advice about my Bantam cochin, 3 years old and 3lbs. She has had a running beak, clear and not smelly that comes and goes. This morning I noticed she has a faint click sound when she is breathing...not all the time and will breath through her mouth occasionally. Thinking she is fighting some type of illness/cols that is getting worse. She didn't want to eat a lot this morning and she is a little sleepy, but nothing too bad yet. Please advice how I should treat or do I need a vet before I do?
    Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have a respiratory disease that could be viral, bacterial, or fungal. Or she may be sensitive to something in your environment. Does she sneeze? If you want to give her a round of antibiotics, Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally, 0.3 ml twice a day for 5 days. You will need a needle and syringe for the bottle, and just take off the needle to give it to her by mouth. Aspergillosis is a fungal respiratory disease that comes from mold or wet conditions. Keeping good overhead air circulation, avoiding hot coop temperatures, and avoiding dusty feed or conditions may help. Here is a good link to read about common respiratory diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! She is an indoor girl so weather does affect her much. She gets outside time throughout the day, but stays inside otherwise. She does sneeze. I picked up Oxytetracyaline HCL powder : Board spectrum antibiotic. on the advice of a neighbor, but am not sure of the dosage for my girl? Good link! It has a lot of info :) hoping this helps her get over whatever it is [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by