Chicken cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickDaze, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    One of my two month old chicks is sneezing. Seriously. It makes a sound like a human light sneeze. Once I saw liquid spots on the door after this little episode. It is acting like normal except for this sneezing. (Well neither one will go outside since the flock dropped from 7 chicks to just the 2.) The other one is fine. It is over 100 degrees outside most of the day, and it only gets down to the mid-eighties at night. What is going on and what do I do!?!

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    sneezing with clear lig. could be MS. I lost a flock to a very virulent form of this. Normally it gives sneezing when under stress and arthritic symptoms, also lowers their immune system. They will not lay as much and just generally not be as healthy. If they have this they have a chronic catching disease. Even when it seems to be gone it will return with any stress. Any other chicks around it will catch it too. Chickens do NOT get colds. I hope this is not true with yours. It could be a buildup of amonnia in the coop. Or dust from something if just a sneeze. But if she acts tired and just not with it; I would have her checked. No antibiotics can get rid of it once they have it. There is a ? preventative. Denagard. Look it up. Good luck gloria Jean

3. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    She drinks, eats, hides, sleeps, runs around when i try to catch her. the sneeze is only occasional. nothing else.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sneezing alone without other symptoms is usually just environmental. Watch for other symptoms, but it can be caused by ammonia at their level, dust in bedding or feed, pollen, drinking or eating too fast, chemicals in new plywood, etc.

5. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I just brought home some pullets I bought from a lady and spent a 2 hour drive with them and no sneezing but as soon as I put them in the coop they started sneezing and I saw 2 with snot bubbles. I'm so afraid I brought something home. I know my 2 kids didn't change their shoes before they went to see our flock. I don't know how contagious everything is so I don't know if just them walking around would spread it. I hate to cull my flock but I'm afraid they have it. I guess I just have to wait and see. How long does it usually take until symptoms show up? If it was something respiratory wouldn't they sneeze more? I haven't noticed it since. Thanks!

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If they have snot bubbles something is going on. Please keep them isolated from your other hens. Resp. illness is very, very contagious. I would clean out everything today and give the coop a good cleanning and hope and pray it has not spread. Gloria Jean

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Agreed! Snot is something different altogether.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by