Chicken colours...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eksterhuis, Jan 24, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Does anyone know of any good links about chicken colors and feather patterns, I've had no luck! I want to know my pencilled from my laced, double laced, spangled, splash, mottle, cuckoo and beyond! I sod of get the base colours but it's the patterns that confuse me!
    thanks!

2. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    This links to a PDF with a pretty good article that includes pictures. It only covers spangle-type patterns, though.
    http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/08E02A05.pdf
    It's a bit tough to view, but you can click on the "view" tab in your browser and zoom out. Then use your up and down keys to scroll down.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  4. AllenWMiller

AllenWMiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Rural PA
    Today if you want to study feather patterns just go to Google Images and type in the feather pattern you want an example of.

Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds and The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens are good books to have for the learning breeder as well.

Cheers

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Problem with googling is that not all sources will be reliable. The authors of both previously given sources are well-respected and quite knowledgeable.

6. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
  7. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio

Some of the newer books out can be a little off. I saw one a year or two back showing a silver penciled hen and it was labeled as double laced. This was one of the newer field guide to breeds type books.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Just ordered it! I am a big book fan but being in New Zealand postage is huge! Lucky a friend had given me an amazon book token thing so I managed to get it for US$10 delivered to NZ, rather happy with that! Just the month or so to wait for it to arrive, by then I will have a mottle and a splash pekin (hatching some) and I will hopefully know the difference between those two aready!

Any other good book recommendations? I would really like to find out more about breeding for colour/physical traits (I would like to very slowly try and breed Ermine Faverolles and other 'new' or 'rare' colours in New Zealand!)

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by