Chicken Combs Changing Colors?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HenMcGhie, Aug 26, 2013.

1. HenMcGhie

HenMcGhie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible that my pullet's (24weeks) combs are changing colors throughout the day. Or is it my imagination? It seems to me that sometimes their combs are a bright red and then a little while later they are pale and then bright red again. They are only 6 months old and still haven't started laying (though getting very close). This is my first time caring for chickens and I'm paranoid half the time that I'm doing something wrong or that they are sick or a multitude of other things. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or am I just a little chicken crazy?

Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just a little crazy. Relax. It isn't rocket science. If they have clean water, nutritious chicken feed, lots of ventilation, ability to escape heat and protection from predators - you've done all you can. Their combs should be dark red now and begin laying any day. What breeds and what are you feeding?

3. HenMcGhie

Aug 20, 2013
    RIR's and I am finishing up a bag of starter/grower before switching to layer pellets. They also have oyster shells in a separate dish and get kitchen scraps every once in a while.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Just relax and enjoy the process and your girls. Getting that first egg is such a thrill and the good part is that it never goes away - always fun! Let us know when you get that first egg.

5. HenMcGhie

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks [​IMG]. It is a little hard being patient. I know it will be any day now. One of the chickens made an actual nest in the nest box this morning, an almost perfect little circle. It was really cute. I will let everyone know when that first egg comes.

6. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    I had the same problem not being able to tell them apart because one day the comb was red and the next it was pink. Then I picked up one of the ones with a pink comb and by the time I put her down (clucking in frustration at being picked up) her comb had turned red. Since it is considered a heat regulator (think rooster's big comb) I'd bet that it has to do with how much stress they are under or how they're regulating their temperature.

Then again, I've got one who has a pink comb and I've harassed her (picked her up) and it stays pink. Maybe she's just really laid back.

I've heard if the comb is pink they're not laying and I've heard if the comb is red they're not laying. I've heard the red comb story more than once but I've never heard anything scientific about it.

Heh, I'm not much help, am I? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by