Chicken come Home

Bird Hearder

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Salisbury, Md.
Sat. night DW and I went to a Minor league Baseball game and we left the pen door open so the Ladies could go to bed. When we got home 9ish I went to lock em up and asked Dw if I shoud do a head count, she said Na they're there. Well I went out the next morning to look for eggs and let them out of the House. 1 was Missing...
barnie.gif

Luckily DW seen her in the neighbors Driveway.
We only have 4 that are actually laying, The other's are a few weeks from starting. Anywho I found 3 eggs in the nest that morning and figured that was all we were going to get since the 1 girl was out roaming I figured I would just let the others out to Free Range. Well later that afternoon I went out for something and Low and behold there was egg #4 in the nest.

Is it normal for them to come to the nest to lay while out PLaying?
Thanks BH

every time? or do you have to go on a Hunt once in awhile?
I do find it really cool that they will come to the nest to lay instead of under a bush somewhere.

Our golden campine is a rebel she is always luring the other hens out...its like the movie chicken run...some nites they are all back in when DH gets home to feed and water them but we have on occasion had to search and rescue. Ours are free range but they wander into our neighbors yard and they have ten acres with woods. But since some or atleast one has started laying they all come home at nite and all go into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom