Chicken coming into POL very ill when laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rumpel, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rumpel

Rumpel New Egg

Sep 3, 2013
    My poor chookie is just coming into POL. I found a normalish egg outside in the garden last week. The next day she looked ill and couldn't walk. I popped her into her nest box and when I checked her a wee while later she had laid an egg with an area of rubberised shell.
    She still looked ill. I brought her in put her in a box, gave her sugar water and left her mash and fresh corn. After lying for about an hour she laid a rubber egg.
    Today I found her lying unable to walk in the coop. I put her in her box in the house about 6 hours ago and she looked like she was going to die. Eyes closed, feet curled up. I have been feeding her sugar water and keeping her warm. She seemed to have improved and out comes another rubber egg. I have left her with food and water nearby but surely this aint right. I am wondering if she has something wrong with her internal egg forming apparatus. After the first episode she perked up and was fine. They are free range and get fed layers pellets and corn treats, grapes and apple.

Any advice folks.

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Does she get oyster shell as free choice to strengthen egg shells? When she is like this I would check her to see if she is egg bound by gently checking her abdomen externally or by lubing a gloved finger and checking through her vent for an egg. Also lube her vent and slightly inside with ky to assist passing the egg. If she is doing this give her calcium a tums would work to help pass the egg too. Soaking in warm water so her vent can relax and pass the egg helps while gently massaging toward the vent. To me it sounds like she needs calcium for her shells and assist passing the eggs. She may be straining too hard to pass the soft eggs which could lead to prolapse.

Posting in emergencies will also get you help, they are very good at giving assistance, information, and possible treatments.

Hope your girl gets better.

3. umairfsd

umairfsd New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    I bought a 50 foot chicken coop kits last fall and wish it was bigger. I know 50 feet sounds large, but when you have a horse moving around it, especially at a canter or a lope, it is actually pretty small. I have worked in a 60 foot round pen and found it much better. If I cannot purchase a couple of extra panels for my round pen, I will set it up so that I use a length of my fence it make it website.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's possible that she has some internal birth defect that is just now becoming apparent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by