Chicken Condos-- Pics of My Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tiffanyh, Sep 9, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi everone. I have spent the summer revamping my coop(s), and I am anxious to share.

I have three small coops situated to the right of my animal shed.
    [​IMG]

Of larger two- "The Main Coop", is the one to the left (below) is for 6 standards. The coop is about 16 sq ft, the run is 60. To the right, I have "Chicken Alley". This is where 4 bantam pullets and 1 bantam cockeral live. A standard brahma mix that was a single hatch bunks with them also. The sq footage on that coop is only about 10sq ft, and the run is 36sq feet. They are obviously just dog runs that are covered below and above, so they get shut in every evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, as far as chickens are concerned, I have a tiny coop/run called "The Nudist Colony", only about 15sq feet that a standard Naked Neck lives with a NN chick. ( I had posted about them earlier in Chick Adoption). The hen has an injured leg, but even prior was getting beaten up badly by my other hens. I had a pair of NN chicks hatch in an incubator. One didnt make it, so I paired the lone chick up with the hen and they are inseperable now. (Their pen still needs netting above, I am heading out to do that in an hour or so).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the other side of the shed, I have a rabbit pen with three rabbits from auction.
    [​IMG]

I only live on 1/2 acre on Main STreet in an agricultural town, (and have 4 pygmy goats up on the hill also behind my house!) so my ladies free range for an hour or two in the evening. I would love to have more space for them, but they seem happy in the condominium living style!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for letting me share! Have a great day everyone.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    My coops are just utilitarian. Yours are so attractive. The buff hen looks like she's thinking, "Who's out there by my front door!" Lucky babies.

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I realy like your yard,,,,its very creative [​IMG]

4. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks! That is so nice to hear when you work so hard on them! [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Wow Tiffany, you have a lot of stuff going on there. What town are you in?

Don

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Wow - very creative! It's nice how you have them all close together, yet in their own space. Thanks for sharing. I always love to see how other chicken owners set up coops and yards.

7. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    ok, this raises a question I asked recently and didn't get answered.

I see that you have multiple small coops instead of one large structure. Who goes where? If you put X number of birds into a run that is attached to (or encloses) multiple small coops, do the chickens all just decide where they want to stay and who their friends are?

We have 10 birds and a small coop, which is not going to be large enough in a few months. We also have a dog house that could easily be a coop, and I have access to another. If we had a common run and multiple coops, will the chickens divvy up the space and decide where to hang out?

8. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I actually have three different runs attached to each coop. Breaking them into groups was easy. The 4 standards came first, they got the main coop (two more standards added later) The bantams I got this spring, so they got the new alley. The final coop came along because my NN was getting picked on and them broke her leg, so she got her own enclosure. It just seemed natural to put the NN baby with her when he became a singleton.

I think your asking if you have one enclosure, how do you add another coop. My guess would be that for a while you have to manual put them away. I do free range everyone together and they go back into their own coops at night.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Love the set up. I would love to add a lionhead to my condo/crew....but DH finally drew the line [​IMG]

10. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    Very neat and sweet! Nudist Colony-- I love it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by