Chicken constipation? Strange egg laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    This morning before school I was changing the water for my pullets and I let them roam around for a few minutes before putting them back in the run. I noticed that one of them, Gamma, had the down on her butt parted like she was going to poop. But she didn't for a while and it seemed kind of like she had trouble. Then today she layed the strangest egg. It had no shell and was about the size of a grape. I'm not sure what's wrong with her! She has a great diet and never eats anything bad. However, when she was a lot younger she was attacked twice by a labrodoodle and I think that may have affected her growth because she went from being the biggest in the flock to the smallest. She's layed other defective eggs, but they mostly just had thin shells. Only one other had no shell and it was normal sized. Can anybody help me? Gamma is a golden sex link, by the way. She's about 22 weeks old

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

New layers sometimes lay strange eggs at first. I wouldn't worry unless it continues.

Imp

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Thanks so much! I was hoping it was just that but I wanted to make sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by