Chicken Coop... a necessity?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ronin, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ronin

ronin New Egg

Sep 2, 2008
    I am interested in raising chickens but am a beginner. I was wondering if it is a necessity to have a coop for the chickens, or can they just wander the backyard. I live in Hawaii where there are (i think) few predators. Will the chickens need a coop, or can they always roam free (with a fence to keep from roaming too far) Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you should always provide a "coop" like structure...even the smallest thing can harm your chickens...dogs, cats, and then you have overhead threats that you may not be aware of, birds of prey are sneeky, weather can also be a factor too!

if its the size of coop that has you thinking about trying a no coop route then there are many small chicken tractors...if its expense a coop can be bulit out if recycled materials, post an add on craigslist or freecycle for surplus buliding materials wanted and give examples of what you are in need of...wooden skids/pallets, fencing, ect...

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    alot of people swear by coops i dont have any though my pens do have tin roofs and are sheltered from rain wind etc.. and my free range flock has a roost in the barn where they sleep at night..

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    You might not need a HUGE coop like barn or anything but a dog house or something like that to allow the chickens to have a place where they can get out of the rain, or out of the blazing sun shine is always nice, plus if the chickens have a coop it will be alot easier for you to find the eggs (if they lay in the nesting box in the coop)

Plus it's nice for them to have a "safe" spot in case a cat or dog might come into the yard. Or if a large bird of pray flies above.

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Some sort of shelter is needed. It doesn't need to be grand, just a safe, dry, place.

6. ronin

ronin New Egg

Sep 2, 2008
    thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.[​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] And good luck with your new chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by