Chicken coop advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by miss rigby, Apr 25, 2017.

1. miss rigby

miss rigby New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Hello!

I was just wondering if I could get some advice. I've got 2 chickens and I've had them for a year now. I'm having a bit of an issue with their housing arrangements. They currently have a small coop which is 160cm length by 75cm wide and they also have a little run made up of free standing panels on the side of it.

So basically, the problem is that I let them out when I'm home to run round the garden but they **** absolutely everywhere and also wreck the garden so I don't think this is a long term solution. Should I get a bigger coop for them (say, 8ft) and then not let them out in the garden? Or get a bigger coop and still let them out in the garden but just for maybe an hour a day for a run round and then this will mean less **** everywhere?? What does everyone else do? I'm not sure if it is a bit cruel to leave them in the 8ft coop when they are used to legging round the garden everyday.

many thanks!

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    You can build a run with hardware cloth that has a minimum of 10 square feet per bird. Then just let them out occasionally.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our chickens have never free ranged due to the location of our coop (out of view and not near our house) and our many predators. They stay in a large, covered run.

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    You might try using some type of cheap landscape netting to confine them to an area where you want them to stay. Move it as needed to keep them on fresh grass or a fresh area.

They may stay in or may not. If not, you could go one step further and use electric poultry netting to confine them. That is what I'm now using to keep mine OUT of a garden area. The same stuff could be used to keep them in. The short stuff I'm using is 80 feet in length and can be moved around with ease. Can be made into any shape........round or long and skinny. Making sure they have some shade bushes and shelter within will go a long ways towards keeping them in.

5. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    I won't have my chickens until next year but here is my plan. In addition to my permanent coop and run I plan to build a tractor type run that I can move around my yard. That way they have some time in other parts of the area yet controlled and safe from predators and my active dogs who would want to play with them. I have fenced raised beds so will let the chicks clean them up for me fall and spring. I had to fence the beds from my dogs who steal all my vegetables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by