Chicken coop and Pen

Hillbilly Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Middleville, Michigan
Ok right know I have a pen for my 24 Buff Orpingtons 50' x 50'. I am going to add another 50' x 50' so that when I put in my other hens they have the room hope it is enough for 71 chickens it is not like my wife's bantams are going to stay in the the pen.

Should I add another coop or just make one big one and how big will I need?

Thank you

Well, that is a lot of chickens, and I'm doing my best to catch up with you.
big_smile.png

I built a 10x12 coop to start and have my established flock of 12 in there. I could keep adding my little ones as they grow, but that keeps stirring up the pecking order, so I'm putting up a new building of 8x16 where I can have 4 separate pens for different breeds that I can hatch from. So far I'm liking the flexibility 2 coops will give me.

When you say 50x50 pen, I'm thinking run or yard and not indoor coop space. Outdoor space per bird should be no less than 4 square feet, but preferably double that.

If you have a 71 chicken flock then you'd need one building of around 12X24 (or 288 square feet) to hold them. Now if they are outside almost all the time, you may get by with some less than the average 4 square feet indoors per bird. But you'd need multiple feed stations even in one building when your flock is so big.

I'd vote for multiple buildings with individual runs, but that is just my opinion.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom