Chicken Coop.. and Quail?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by timp123, Jun 22, 2010.

1. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    I already have my coop built.. mostly done.. I also like to have Coturnix Quail... was thinking about building a Community Quail Pen elevated up on a wall inside.. for the Quail... so I can also have fresh Quail eggs, that roll out at the bottom along with my Chicken eggs... (there is something about, Spicey pickled Quail eggs... Mmmmmmm)

Anyone build a pen like this? Should I have any concerns about a communion pen?

Thanks!! (and if you have pics of your combo coops, please post! Would love some idea's)

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Have you posted over on the Quail board? That's where most of the quail folks post their stuff. I've heard that several folks have quail on up on wire in the coop areas

3. beaversmouse

beaversmouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    we have chicken and quail co-habitating!!! we just had our first quail egg today!!! we're so happy....we have 2 tennessee reds and 1 wisconsin bob white

the chickens are mixed banty and i don't know what. we received them from a friend...they're not old enough for laying just yet and won't be for a couple more months

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    Quote:Oh wow, "beaversmouse" you have both, running lose! Was not thinking of that at all... I was thinking of having a seperate pin within the chicken-coop, not co-habitating at all... very cool... now a whole new idea is brewing!

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    How are they getting along? VERY cool looking house, by the way. Is there a window or vent on the other side?

6. beaversmouse

beaversmouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    it took 2 days...and now they get along great!

the chickens are still too young, but the quail gave us our first egg yesterday...OH HAPPY DAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by