Chicken coop and run

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bethwoods07, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Bethwoods07

Bethwoods07 Hatching

Oct 15, 2019
    Hello all!
    My husband and I are new to raising chicks. We have a mottled Java (Nugget) and a black cuckoo maran(Omlette). We bought a premade coop from TSC, and it was quite breezy, so we enclosed the bottom, but left some ventilation in the roof, and also built a run off of it. One of our chicks is extremely underweight and has coccidia (vet confirmed) and has been on oral meds for 2 weeks. We took her off of them Monday night and she declined quickly, not having any appetite but still drinking. Took a sample back to tge vet and they confirmed she still has it so I’m treating them both with Coridd mixed in their water for 5 days, then doing the preventative dose for the next 2 weeks. We dug out all the grass in the run to make their poop easier to clean, but I’m wondering if we should put hay or something in the run as well as bedding in the bottom of the coop for the deep litter method?
    I’m just wondering the best way to help her as we’re new to this, and we don’t want to lose her :(
    They are about 16 weeks old

Attached Files:

Sequel likes this.
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am so sorry!

I wish she would do better for you. :hugs

From what I understand coccidia is everywhere. The trick is to get the chickens strong enough to resist it, verses perfectly get it out of the environment.

So.... work on helping her get strong, once she had finished the meds, keep her on the preventative for at least a month if not three.

Other than that, I would help her with different vitamins and probiotics. Whatever you have in your area or at your local store. If you decide to use yogurt as your probiotic pick one with lots of active cultures, low to no sugar (especially no fake sugars) and just a very tiny bit, a few beak fulls, every other day.

CrziChickMom likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome!
    The bagged shavings for horse bedding works well, and is easier to manage rather than straw. Do follow through with treating both birds for their coccidiosis; this is not a fun way to start with chickens!
    Also look at them at night with a flashlight, on the skin around their vents, neck, and under their wings for signs of mites or lice. If either bird has any, treat them both with permethrin, and spray the coop too.
    I hope your girls recover and do well for you.
    Mary

CrziChickMom and Sequel like this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Please post pictures of your coop and run; it may need more help to be safer and more comfortable for them.
    Also include your approximate location on your profile, which helps with best advice for your weather conditions.
    Mary

Sequel likes this.
  5. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Definitely get a deep layer pine shavings in there asap. Hay or straw isn't very absorbent and can get slippery and moldy. The shavings will help stir up and cover new droppings and keep the area much drier. The problem with digging out the grass is you've made a trench for moisture to collect. Is is possible to move your coop to higher ground?

Coccidia are everywhere in the world, all different strains, and they thrive in moist soil and dirty conditions. Since its unavoidable, the goal is to build resistance by gradual exposure, some people do this with medicated starter feed, others by introducing a piece of sod into the brooder at about 2 weeks of age. Once your girls recover (sending positive vibes!) they'll be immune to the coccidia strain on your property.

CrziChickMom likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to try deep sand in the open part of the run for drainage and easy cleaning. I would give a drench of the undiluted Corid to the chick of 0.1 ml per pound of weight twice a day in addition to the Corid in the water as an extra boost, in case she has not been drinking the water. Change the Corid water daily, and raise the water and feed at shoulder height to help prevent droppings getting into them.

CrziChickMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: